Thursday, July 06, 2006

Grandad






My Grandfather died on the 7th of July 1975 and I thought to do a pictorial on him. A closet pacifist and a truly cerebral Officer, and rather sadly a Freemason, who believed more in dialogue than force. He served in the Congo as part of the UN Peace Keeping Force in 1960 (bottom photo second from left, Col Mobutu, is second from right). The top photo (in white) was in Nigeria pre-retirement.

We all have our own part to play on this earth, he played his and moved on at the relatively young age of 68, his later years were spent in debilitating illness and regret, but with a heart filled with love and empathy. I shan't judge him by my or anyone else's standards, he lived by his and in my view, that was the most important standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home