Tuesday, May 30, 2006

May 30th 2006

This marks the day the Nigerian Civil War started and which- by the way- is my birthday. The dubious anniversary of the day I reluctantly emerged unto this massive spherical (but wondrous) organic compost heap, also mildly ironical that I was born smack dab in the middle of the biggest modern war Africa had ever seen at the time. Is there generally anything to celebrate? Yes there bloody well is. Why?:

A. Surviving being slithered over by a poisonous snake before the age of one;
B. Surviving numerous Air Raids and other war conditions before the age of two;
C. Surviving severe infantile asthma;
D. Surviving 1990 ("the year of the locust"- during National Service);
E. Surviving the 7 drug crazed Robbers with AK-47's whose avowed intention was to blow my head off after taking all my money (How I know? They said so, never underestimate the motivation of a Crackhead).
F. Surviving the Plane Crash.
G. Having the two most wonderful children God placed on earth.
H. The most wonderful family (parents especially, caring for pestilent children when you're having Bombs dropped on you by Egyptian Mercenary Pilots, poses challenges to even the most gifted parents, I am indeed blessed).
I. My path in life, mistakes made but regrets few.
J. The friends one has made along the way, not too many but of whom I'm proud to know.

Some of the above may sound far-fetched but not a single exaggeration, as those who know me are well aware (and for whose benefit this is anyway, couldn't care less about the others).

Well.. Spice Island in Rotherhithe it shall be tomorrow evening, for a quiet reflective drink with the following friends: The pedantic Paediatric Surgeon, The stingy Security Consultant, The even stingier Solicitor, The sanguine Surveyor cousin, The jovial Journalist, The delectable designer + mate, The sassy Saxophonist and the Golders Green Geezer. For the avoidance of doubt we're all going Dutch, I presume I've made myself clear.

I'm not ordinarily one for these things but recent events make me realise the need to stay in touch with one's own constituency. Notably absent however, shall be the magnificent Melbourne mate (a true friend if there ever was one) but a drink in her honour shall be had. Other high points being a call from the distinguished personage of my toddler offspring and hopefully from my parents currently hibernating in Canada.

You're invited if you can find the place and are prepared to buy your own bloody drinks.




8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notably absent however, shall be the magnificent Melbourne mate (a true friend if there ever was one) but a drink in her honour shall be had.

Re above, was it a drink in honour of many mistakes and no regrets?

11:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

8:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:53 am  
Blogger Seal67 said...

A very good question, but wrong premise, it was in honour of mistakes and FEW regrets. Nice try however

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or perhaps it should be no mistakes made and many regrets. (The chicken or the egg)?

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home