Thursday, December 20, 2007

Retrospect-Happenstance- Perspective

Its often necessary to re-evaluate recent events, co-relate to past events and re-assess based on historical antecedents the provenance of happenstance. One often wonders what could have been or not?
I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't boarded the Harka Air flight from Kaduna in Nigeria in 1995, the fact is that I survived the crash and healed from my injuries and recovered my financial losses, so what then did I lose other than the experience and what did I gain other than the wisdom and perspective of survival, when perhaps several of those more worthy than myself died painful deaths in the crash.
I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't decided to take a taxi to see Yusuf A in Kaduna in 1995, perhaps I would have avoided the 11 armed and drug-crazed Policemen who abducted and robbed me, but then I survived, when at least three probably more deserving people lost their lives, on the same night. What I lost in fear and financial loss I gained in the loss of fear and once again the wisdom of survival.
What would have happened if I hadn't stayed and had "one last drink" in Soho with Alex in 2000 and if the Victoria Line hadn't shut down at Finsbury Park and terminated at Highbury and Islington, I wouldn't have been passing by when the two men were about to rape the young girl and raised an alarm, at least the Police said thank you.
What would have happened if I hadn't gone to deliver the Magistrate sisters Wedding Invitation in 1993, I may have been spared the pain and heartache, but I would not have experienced the sublime happiness of 4 years and most importantly I would not have my D and K.
On the other hand what would have happened if Lexi and I had stopped over at the Supermarket to buy some drinks on the way to the Studio in Surulere, Lagos in November 2005, the extra 10 minites spent would have placed us smack dab in the middle of the most violent armed robbery attack in Lagos at the time in which a whole street was cordoned off and everyone in between robbed and in which three people were shot dead.
What if I had taken an extra couple of minutes on the tube, I may not have gotten the phone call from JB inviting me to take on Partnership at N&C, minutes before I was meant to be signing a new Contract at MG. I may have been spared the trauma of the last 15 months, but I would not have otherwise have had the opportunity of generating the amount of gratitude I gained from people whom I represented for free simply because they had nowhere else to go, the opportunity to shape the Law in my own small way in AG V Z; A v B; In Re B and so on, many with longer careers did not achieve half of what did in a few years in this Jurisdiction and for that I am grateful and in a strange way proud.
The fact is that whatever is ordained in life will be, if it isn't- no amount of desire, drive and or caution/planning or risk assessment will prevent it. of course one has a duty not to take reckless risk, but life is a wondrous spectacle and I have learnt never to regret anything I have done and whilst one has one's moments, I am grateful that I am and have been alive to be able to make the choices I have- good or bad and the prayer I say at the end of another wonderful year is for God to give me the permanent gift of perspective.
May all our dreams come true in the coming year and and most importantly, may we be preserved in life to see the fruits of our labours and exertions, many who entered this year are no longer with us, perspective no?
Ps/ By the way this is the 200th Post on this Blog, thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home